- 7 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I measure this in, then the honey. That way the honey does not stick to the measuring spoon.)
- 2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, plus for greasing the bowl or pan if desired
- Scant 2 2/3 cups cool milk, preferable 2 % (warm milk to at least 70 degrees F)
Mix flour, salt and yeast, then add olive oil, honey, softened butter and milk. (I usually melt the butter in with the milk.) Knead on floured surface.
Note that mixture will be very sticky prior to kneading, add flour as needed. Coat large bowl with olive oil and let rise until doubled. Beat down, split into, roll out and shape into loaves.
Grease or butter two loaves pans and let bread rise again in pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush top of loaves lightly with butter, oil or water, then place in oven.
Bake about 45 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it, or the internal temperature reads about 200 degrees F. Remove loaves from pans and cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Makes 2 loaves.
- 4 lbs. beef round steak, cut in 1 inch
- 4 c. sliced carrots
- 2 c. sliced celery
- 4 med. onions, sliced
- 2 (5 oz.) cans water chestnuts,
drained and sliced
- 2 (6 oz.) cans sliced mushrooms,
- 1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 (16 oz.) cans tomatoes
- 2 c. Burgundy
In roasting pan or Dutch oven mix meat, carrots, celery, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms. Mix flour, sugar and salt, then add to meat mixture. Stir in tomatoes and Burgundy. Cover and bake 4 hours.