- 6 oz penne pasta, uncooked vegetable cooking spray
- 4 oz Canadian bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14-1/2 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes (no-salt)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup evaporated skimmed milk
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat or salt, then drain and set aside.
Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat until hot. Add the Canadian bacon and the next three ingredients, and saute until vegetables are tender.
Add tomato and the next four ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 more minutes.
Add pasta, stirring well. Cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.
Garnish with a basil sprig if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
- 4 lbs. beef round steak, cut in 1 inch
- 4 c. sliced carrots
- 2 c. sliced celery
- 4 med. onions, sliced
- 2 (5 oz.) cans water chestnuts,
drained and sliced
- 2 (6 oz.) cans sliced mushrooms,
- 1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 (16 oz.) cans tomatoes
- 2 c. Burgundy
In roasting pan or Dutch oven mix meat, carrots, celery, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms. Mix flour, sugar and salt, then add to meat mixture. Stir in tomatoes and Burgundy. Cover and bake 4 hours.